Uh, okay. This is working.

Today marked the end of my third week of coach-assisted basebuilding. I’m officially convinced that working with a coach was the right thing to do.

I’ll post my usual recap of the week’s training tomorrow morning, but I wanted to post about a few things specifically.

I’ll start by saying that I was initially a little worried when I saw the plan Kevin gave me. I knew I could handle the workload, but it seemed a bit intense for just the basebuilding phase. Specifically, it looked more like marathon training, not basebuilding. I no longer feel that way after having spent three weeks easily being able to handle the buildup in mileage and doing three hard runs a week.

Dang. This really works. Witness:

  • My resting heart rate has dropped from 48-50 to 46. You can’t argue with that.
  • My recovery runs are getting faster with no change in effort.
  • I am hitting my paces for all faster sessions. Don’t get me wrong — they are not easy. But they are doable.
  • The dreaded 3:00AM DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) has been minimal.
  • I feel recovered and ready for each hard session.

But today’s run is the one that sold me. It was the last run of an 80 mile week and one that I’d been, well, not dreading, but ruminating about during the latter part of the week: 18 miles “steady” pace, which translates into an 8:15 pace (or about 90% marathon effort). That is a long way to run at that effort.

To prepare, I did a two day mini carbohydrate load (not a ton, but basically making sure I had enough stored away) and made sure I was well hydrated. I also took care to get adequate sleep.

I did a leisurely warmup for the first three miles (9:17, 8:53, 8:27). Then I got down to work. For the next six miles I average 8:11. Then I backed off for two miles (hills and headwind), running around 8:25 each — I also took in some carbohydrates at mile 10, which gave me a lift shortly thereafter. Then I ran the next seven miles at an average 8:07 pace, finishing up with an extra half mile for which I motored along at 7:48.

I felt great during the entire run, despite brisk, shifting winds and a face full of snow in the last two miles, and had no problem picking up the pace. Despite the slow early miles, my average pace for the run was 8:17. Pretty much right on the nose.

Side note: In addition to having a great run, I also was a good Samaritan today. As I was pausing at my car at mile 10 I witnessed a woman take the paint off the side of a Volvo with her Mercedes SUV during a botched parking attempt. She proceeded to park in another space about 30 feet away. I waited to see if she would post anything to the windshield of the car she’d just done significant damage to. Not surprisingly (but no less appallingly), she didn’t, although I did notice her take the time to see what the damage was to her own car (minimal). So I posted her  make, model and license plate number to the damaged car myself. I’ve had damage done to my car by people like this and it really pisses me off.

9 Responses

  1. Its go’s good and a good training.
    Look out for the pain in your legs!!!!.
    Do not force.
    Groet Rinus.

  2. Rinus’ comments are like little near-haikus in themselves.

    Go, you. Go, Kevin, too.

  3. That’s good! Especially about being recovered for the hard sessions. Very nice 18 miler – duly noted.

  4. I loved reading this, it certainly does look like you’re getting your money’s worth and then some. So soon, too. To think that this is just the beginning is hugely exciting.

    And yay you for posting that info on the car. How I’d love to be a fly on the wall when the hitter hears from the hittee.

  5. Okay, so this is a very elementary question, but when do you check your resting HR?

    Very exciting abt your training. I like your anonymous vigilante tendencies.

  6. “Vigilante”?! I’m hurt.

    I prefer “superhero.” Or, at worst, “busybody.”

    I check my heart rate upon waking, before caffeine, pet annoyances or work-induced hyperventilation can conspire to skyrocket it upward.

  7. On Sunday I watched someone hit a parked car pretty hard and then drive away. I was in a car with my new project team, and everyone else laughed about it. I tried to be upset, but didn’t want to come off too anal by doing what I would have done had I been on my own (noted the license plate and called the police). I feel very bad now 😦

  8. Oh geez I didn’t mean to insult you!! I’m sorry.

  9. No worries. It was the first blog comment I’ve ever had that’s caused me to make a mental comparison between myself and Charles Bronson.

    Hmm. Um. Yuck.

    Come to think of it, maybe you should apologize.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: